Celery root – my new favorite vegetable!! This gnarly looking thing, once peeled and cooked, is really yummy. My experimentations so far: mashed with potato and a yummy cream of celery root soup, which was even better the next day. I plan to try lots of other preparations, so stay tuned. In the meantime, here’s my recipe for the soup. (and send me any suggestions you might have)
Cream of Celery Root and Potato Soup
1 onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
2 ribs celery, diced
4 strips of bacon
4 large celery roots, peeled and cut into 1” pieces
1 potato, peeled and cut into 1” pieces
6 cups chicken stock
1 tbsp chopped rosemary
1 cup milk or cream
Sat & pepper
1/4 tsp cumin
• Coat the bottom of a heavy pot with olive oil. Turn on medium heat and add onion, carrot and celery. Cook till softened, about 8 minutes.
• Add bacon and cook about 2-3 minutes.
• Add celery root, potato, stock and rosemary. Season with salt & pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for about 30 minutes, till vegetables are very tender.
• Turn off heat and put soup through a food mill to remove any fibrous pieces.
• Return to soup pot, add cream and cumin, and blend with an immersion blender till smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning.
• Serve with garnish of crispy bacon bits and/or garlic croutons.