The other night, I made a tilapia “en papillot” with some coconut milk instead of wine. Came out really well… but I forgot to take a photo! So, I had about 3/4 of a can of coconut milk leftover and decided to try and make a coconut curry chicken. Been on this Indian food kick lately…. it came out pretty well for a first attempt, and I have a bunch of leftovers to take to lunch this week! Here’s my “rough” recipe.
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
3 cloves garlic, minced
6 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite size cubes.
2 tbsp curry powder
1 tbsp red curry paste
1 cinnamon stick
4 dry red chiles
2 potatoes, cut into 1″ pieces
3/4 (or 1) can coconut milk
1 28 oz. can tomatoes, chopped
water or stock as needed
- Heat olive oil in a wide heavy skillet. Add onion and saute until soft, about 10 minutes. Add ginger and garlic and cook another minute or two.
- Add chicken to skillet and brown over high heat.
- Add curry powder, paste, cinnamon and chiles and cook for about a minute.
- Add potatoes, coconut milk, tomatoes, and extra water or stock if it seems like it needs more liquid. Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer until chicken and potatoes are cooked through, about 20 minutes. Serve with plain or coconut rice.