2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp chipotle chili powder
1 tbsp ancho chili powder
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 zucchini, diced
1 cup frozen corn
1 can stewed tomatoes (check labels – some have high fructose corn syrup)
6 chicken thighs, seasoned with salt and pepper
8 cups chicken stock or water, or combination of both
- saute onions, carrot, celery, and garlic in olive oil in a heavy soup pot till soft, about 8 minutes.
- add chipotle and ancho chili powders, and tomato paste and cook about a minute.
- add zucchini, corn, tomatoes, chicken, and stock. season with salt
- bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, and cook for about 45 minutes.
- remove chicken thighs, shred meat, and return to pot
- ladle into bowls and garnish with tortilla chips, avocado, and Mexican crema.